9 Best Podcast Microphones
So you’ve got a new podcast. Or you want to get one started. The good news is anyone with a WiFi connection can record and distribute their podcasts from their own home. It just takes a few supplies, including a decent podcast mic.
What do I need for my podcast?
- Audio recording software
- Recording space free of unwanted background noise (preferably sound-proof)
Do I need a microphone for a podcast?
You most definitely need a microphone for a podcast and it is advised against using your computer’s or phone’s built-in microphone.
A podcast is all audio experience and listeners will lose interest if sound quality is poor. Good audio quality has become the standard in running a good podcast.
How can I save money on a podcast microphone?
A decent podcast microphone can cost anywhere from $20 to $400. Price range will depend on your podcast needs, but you can always take advantage of sales and cash back promos to get the best deal.
- Best Buy has one of the largest selections you’ll find and unbeatable prices. (Best Buy prices matches competitors.) Plus earn 2% to 5% cash back on your purchase.
- Gamestop offers a wide selection of high-quality mics. Save up to 30% off with frequent sales and get 2% to 5% cash back on your purchase.
- Newegg has a huge selection of electronics, computers, and related technology items. Get up to 5% cash back on your purchase.
- Abt Electronics carries a wide assortment of computer and electronic goods at competitive prices, including over 200 microphone options. Get 2% to 5% in cash back on your Abt purchase.
- Apple sells a number of high-end mics. Get 2% to 3% cash back on your Apple store purchase, with the cash back bonus good on top of any student discounts too.
You can get an additional $10 cash back bonus on your purchase at any of these stores listed. Join Swagbucks, the free rewards app, and get a free $10 Amazon gift card (or PayPal deposit) when you make a purchase of $25 or more at any featured stores.
Existing Swagbucks members can get this deal too if they’re making their first shop purchase. Get your free $10 bonus now.
How do I choose a microphone for my podcast?
In order to choose the right microphone for your podcast, you will need to consider the following factors:
- Microphone connection type: USB (plug ‘n play) or XLR (requires additional hardware)
- Sound sensitivity between condenser vs dynamic microphones
- Recording patterns: Number of speakers
Which connection type: USB vs XLR?
USB microphones are popular because USB ports are common especially on computers. USB connections are plug ‘n play and require minimal setup. All you need to do is make sure you select the correct microphone in the”Input” panel of your podcasting software.
XLR microphones will require additional hardware like an audio interface and XLR cable(s) to connect to your computer.
One big benefit XLR mics offer over USB mics is the lower floor noise when paired with the audio interface. Audio interfaces provide additional audio routing and editing capabilities in your recording setup. You will most likely need to purchase your own stand along with your XLR microphone.
Is a dynamic or condenser mic better for podcasting?
There are two options when it comes to podcast microphones: dynamic microphones or condenser microphones.
Dynamic microphones are the preferred microphones for live use for their decreased sensitivity and their ability to handle loud sounds. Whereas, condenser microphones are the preferred microphones for studio environments because they are more sensitive to picking up delicate sound.
Condenser microphones can capture high frequencies and vocals. Condenser microphones need an external power source, while dynamic microphones are passive and do not need phantom power. Dynamic microphones are more durable and you don’t have to worry about damaging the mic from a drop. A dynamic mic is good enough to start your podcast and you can upgrade to a condenser mic later once you have a dedicated recording studio.
What are microphone polar patterns?
Polar patterns, or pickup patterns, refer to how the microphone records sound from different directions. Omnidirectional and unidirectional are the main polar patterns.
The most popular unidirectional mics are cardioids. They perform well to isolate your voice and reject ambient noise. Therefore, the cardioid mic is the preferred microphone for podcasting solo.
Omnidirectional mics are best suitable for podcasts with multiple speakers without having to pass the microphone around. Some microphones allow you to select from multiple recording patterns.
What microphone makes you sound better?
Condenser microphones make you sound richer but you will need to be in a sound-proof space to avoid picking up unwanted background noise like traffic or birds.
Are dynamic mics good for podcasts?
Dynamic mics are good for podcasts because they produce a warmer broadcast-like sound from their lower sensitivity. Dynamic mics cost less than condenser mics because they don’t require batteries or phantom power.
Are lavalier mics good for podcasts?
If you are doing interviews on location and require mobility without the hassle of holding a microphone, then lavalier mics are a good option. These small microphones can be clipped anywhere on the speaker’s clothing that’s close enough to pick up audio. Lav mics come in either wired or wireless options at any price range to fit your budget.
Are Blue Yeti mics good for podcasts?
The Blue Yeti USB microphone is good all-around for gaming and streaming use. The Blue Yeti also serves as a good podcasting microphone for its excellent recording quality and relative affordability. Blue microphones are great for the budget since this model offers both bidirectional and omnidirectional recording modes where you can use a single mic for solo recording or multiple speakers at once.
9 Best Podcasting Microphones
- Rode NT-USB
- Rode PodMic (XLR)
- Heil PR-40
- Shure MV7
- Audio Technica ATR2100x-USB
- Razer Seiren X
- Samson G-Track Pro
- Blue Yeti
- EPOS B20
Earn 2% to 5% cash back on your purchase at any of these retailers. Join the cash back shopping rewards club, Swagbucks, to get a free $10 Amazon gift card.
Sign up for Swagbucks free in fewer than 60 seconds, and then make a purchase at a featured store (like Best Buy) for $25 or more. You’ll get a $10 cash back bonus that you can redeem as a gift card to Amazon or other popular stores. Try Swagbucks now.
What mic do most podcasters use?
Most podcasters use the Rode PodMic because it is the best overall podcasting microphone for under $100. This dynamic microphone comes with an internal pop filter and shock mount to get broadcast quality sound in a small package. The PodMic’s cardioid polar pattern is great for voice recording and reduces unwanted background noise. You’ll need a boom arm for this Rode mic to obtain the best results. The build quality of this podcast mic is made to last as expected from a high-end microphone.
The best podcasting microphone is the one that makes you sound good. Every podcaster has different needs and recording space. Therefore, you should try out all the podcasting microphones to find the one that fits your needs.
- 9 Proven Ways to Make Money from Your Android Phone
- How to Improve Your Credit Score: 9 Practical Steps
- 17 Ways to Find Free Affordable Prescription Drugs
- Guide to Best Mother’s Day Brunches
- A History of American Entrepreneurship: Steve Jobs and Apple Inc.
- Remote Work 101: Guide to Finding a Remote Job
- How to Make $100K a Year: The Best Jobs & Side Hustles for Earning Big
- How To Write a Check: A Detailed Guide for 2020
- Online Jobs from Home
- YETI Black Friday 2021
- Sam’s Club Black Friday Deals 2021
- Ways to get Home Depot Gift Cards for free